.

.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Goodbye 2007, Hello 2008!

So, Happy New Year. Another holiday that fails to top my list of favorites, but one which is completely inescapable. We "celebrated" by having some friends over for "fancy pizza", Disney DVD bingo, S'mores making and eventually, the ruthless public beating of some kitchen paraphernalia . We had been invited to what I am sure was a totally fun party by Mom2Two, but I really dread going out on 12/31, and she lives a good hour away. Amazingly, we made it all the way to midnight. We had a contingency plan to fake the kids out by doing a countdown early, since they don't totally get the concept of either telling time, or New Year's Eve celebrations. However, they all played together nicely, for the most part, and so, we counted down to 2008 with Dick Clark (poor, poor, soul). Curly girl didn't quite make it to midnight, she was last seen at about 11:40, when Hubby brought her upstairs to get "jammied up", but she never made it back down. Just as well, she's got plenty of time to get crazy on New Year's Eves to come.

I myself was quite glad to see 2007 go. It was a hard year for me, at least the last half. I have been dealing with lots of emotions, and not a little bit of an identity crisis now that First Son has started Kindergarten. One of my best friends and my kids' best friend moved away, in a slow and painful manner. That experience was like taking a band aid off by pulling one hair at a time. I have this unplanned pregnancy to deal with, and I have been finding it difficult to muster up enthusiasm for much of anything lately. So, I am very much looking forward to a bright and happy 2008. I have decided to recognize that I do have some control over my emotions. As my dear Hubby pointed out, I don't need to be so negative, I can try to embrace the positive in life. (not that I plan on sweeping my negative emotions under any carpets, mind you, if something ticks me off you can bet you'll hear about it, or at least hubby will!) I am putting 2007 to rest, and embracing 2008 with a big fat phony smile. I am going to fake it, until I make it. I am going to do away with the things in my life that do not bring me joy, and I am going to try not to be so serious about myself. I am going to try to live by my heart and not be concerned about social circles, or any other nonsense that drains the joy from me. I am starting this new year with a new outlook. I really hope it works.

2 comments:

Denn Mom said...

Tricia! I got your post on my blog about CGS and everything... we should talk more! My e-mail is heytina9@gmail.com.
God bless!

Anonymous said...

Dear Patricia

Happy New Year!! I love your blog because it's so real. You are not afraid to be honest or pretending to be someone your not. It sounds like you had a great New Years Eve. I had a great New Years eve too. We had a group of friends over and just had fun. I agree with your comment at the end about not giving in to social pressure- be strong!!! My son's motto is: It's better to be a first rate version of your self than a second rate version of someone else.

Related Posts with Thumbnails