.

.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

What I am

Authentic. Real, true. Lately I have been giving this word a lot of thought.What does it mean to be authentic? I am not talking about some rare coin or antique, but something that may be even more obscure, true self. I guess it is all tied into self-confidence, and whether or not you have any is going to play a big role in whether you know your true self. I mean, let's face it we all have moments of self-doubt, we all have times when we are certain that the grass is greener just over that elusive fence, but what happens when we are so jaded that we don't really know what we want or who we are? I will admit that I don't always know who I am, but I do know who I am not, and that may be just as important, especially as a parent. I must never forget that as a Mom I am first and foremost a role model. If I obsess constantly about my body image, what am I teaching my children about their own bodies? If I am not a good friend, how can I teach my kids to be good friends? If I am a materialistic consumerist, how do I teach my children to be grateful for what they have and to be good stewards of our earth? Everything that I do sends a message to my children, be it good or bad and I need to be ever aware of that fact.
What I am is what I am. Are you what you are or what? Think about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do i always have to know who i am? No...ill never know because everyday has different challenges. I never know what each day brings..but as far as a role model for the J man, I know that im am being the person i want him to be..hopefully it works out.

Delilah said...

You absolutely are, and have always been, authentic to who you are. It's one of the things I love and admire most about you.

Unknown said...

Thanks D - that's what I stive for. It helps to hear it though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails