.

.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Meet the Princess Fish


My sweet Curly girl is not herself lately. Oh sure, she's sweet, and charming, funny and clever...but there's something off. She is regressing...using baby talk, and giving us a really hard time about going to bed. She hasn't been able to put it into words, other than to say that she wishes that she didn't have to sleep alone. She does have a point, There are the three boys in one room, and Hubby & I in the other. We've tried to explain to her how cool it is to have your own room, to point out how happy she should be to not have to share her stuff, etc. She points out that she would be more than happy to share her things with...a girl baby. Oh sweet child. We are full up on babies at the moment, and you are breaking my heart. I love my little Dexter, but yeah, I would have loved a girl baby. I won't say that another baby is out of the question....sometime in the future, a few years from now, maybe. Right now we are at maximum capacity.


My friend Mom2Two suggested we get a...dog. Um, yeah, no. I don't think so. I can barely keep up with the massive amount of dirt generated by 4 kids, I don't think a yapping, peeing, shedding dog is going to make things easier. Then we thought...what about...fish? Fish? I can do that. So, I took Curly girl off to the pet store where we announced a dire need for some "girl" fish. Sure, the pet store lady looked at us strangely when we stated our desire for sex-specific fish, but with only the slightest wink she was on board with our plan! I decided to go for the whole shebang, and get the tank with the filter and the whole bit because really, I just don't have the time to be cleaning out fish tanks. I barely have time to clean the two toilets in my house you know?


So now there are three princess fish sleeping in Curly's room with her. Their names are Cinderella, Snow White and....Ariel, because duh...they live in the water.


So far Curly has been doing a little bit better going to sleep in her room, but she still wants to look at all of her baby pictures all the time, and has asked me to hold her "like a baby". I don't know if it is the two little brothers in the house, or more likely the fact that she has started preschool three times a week. My little Curly Girl is fiercely independent, and very mature, but unlike most other kids she is deliberately trying to avoid growing up. I know how she feels. Hubby just called to tell me that we can't actually afford gas or groceries this week and ended the call by saying "have a good day". Yeah, right. Curly may be on to something. Growing up does kind of suck.


I am doing my best to give out lots of extra hugs and kisses, (which may explain my chapped lips). I am spending a little extra time shnuggling my baby girl, reading stories, playing games. Something is going on inside her beautiful head, I just don't know for sure what it is. I love my sweet girl, and I want her to be happy. At least now we have an excuse to play our fishy face game all the time!

4 comments:

Jack's Mamma said...

you better be drinking this weekend! No funny stuff!

Cara said...

My dear friend...welcome to the world of Girl Mommies. Up til now Curly was a baby but now she is growing up. Though I would not trade having a girl for anything they regularly take your heart out and stomp on it..not meaning to mind you. It's a wild ride most days but worth every moment. She will get through this phase and on to another one, dragging you along. But they are spectacular most days aren't they? We share a lot of the same thoughts my friend and being the moms of two wonderful,smart,independent,exhausting,infuriating, beautiful, funny,wonderful girls is yet another thing we share. Welcome to the club. I got your back. xoxo

Unknown said...

I just have to say that there comes many moments when I have a ton of stuff to do on the computer and I sit down, only to wish there was a new blog entry from you-and there it is-yeah! My procrastination continues and a few tears later...because there are usually always tears-happy tears...Then I decide to go to bed instead-so thanks! It's better to end it on a happy note!

Anonymous said...

Wow... I have tears running down my cheeks, coffee in hand, john maier singing... reading about your curly girl. I had "one of those days" with one of my two & a half year old twin girls yesterday. Your words really helped. You have a beautiful way of expressing it all.

Related Posts with Thumbnails