.

.

Friday, September 11, 2009

A lesson in sorrow

It's weird. Today feels so weird. It feels like a normal day. I made lunches, and breakfast, the kids got on the bus. I made some phone calls. Changed the baby. We have a trip to the library planned, and we may go print some First Day of School pictures. First son has soccer practice. I need to decide what to make for dinner. A normal day. Except....

It is not a normal day. I got the kids up and dressed everyone in their best red, white and blue and pinned an American Flag on First Son's shirt. I told my Curly Girl that today is a very important day to be proud of being an American. First Son asked again why it matters that today is September 11th. I told him the same, that we need to be proud of our nation, and we need to be grateful for all we have. I gently reminded him about the story I told him last year about the awful day eight years ago when so many people died.

I hate that today is so "normal". Life goes on it's true, but if feels wrong. It feels weird. It feels like we're forgetting, not that I think anyone who lived through that awful September morning and the days and weeks that followed could ever, ever forget.

This morning, as I write this I am watching on the television as they read the names at ground zero. In the background there are cranes and building equipment. Construction has officially begun. I listen to the names for as long as I can, but I cry, and a mommy who sits and cries is not what my 1 and 2 year old children need right now. Still, I feel an obligation to watch for a least a little while. I cannot forget. We must never forget.

My sister is on a cruise ship headed to Venice, Italy today. She is on the trip of a lifetime. Before she left she realized that she would be out of the country on this important and poignant anniversary. She bought some 9-11 t-shirts for herself and her traveling companions, making a point to not forget. She bought one for me too. It has a picture of the NY skyline with the Twin Towers and the text reads "When Giants Walked the Earth". I am not sure that I love it, but I will wear it anyway. I will wear it to the library today. I will wear it to the giant warehouse store, and to soccer practice. Someone will see me, and I know that they will remember.

I think often about how we as a generation will teach our children about this day. As I watch on the television, a Firefighter just spoke of his lost brother in law, of our need to continue to support the scholarships and foundations, and he may have summed up what it is I have been searching for, today is "A lesson in sorrow, but also in humanity."

How true. Never Forget.

2 comments:

feltman41@optonline.net said...

We missed this brilliant writing all summer. Welcome back and thanks (for making me cry). Love UF

Lynne said...

Hey, welcome back to bloggy world! Missed u! Love the new look! I hope you've decided to still write.

Related Posts with Thumbnails