.

.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Breathless


You are right. I must start writing again.

I feel like I have started writing this post a hundred times in my head. I just can't settle on an angle. It is so heavy, so laden with gut wrenching emotion, and I fear whether or not I will even be able to finish typing the words without short circuiting my laptop with torrential tears. There is so much going on, and I really should be writing about it, if only for therapy (though I kind of loathe the self-therapizing blogs that are out there and shudder to think that mine may become one. And, yes, I do realize that "therapy" is not a verb, thank you very much.) On the other hand I know there are many of you who are thinking about me, worrying about me and let's face it, miss reading my blog. So here I am. I am back. I must warn you though, it may not be pretty.

I do not know where to begin. I don't know how to sugar coat it, or make it humorous (though I am sure on the latter, I will find a way). My life has fallen apart. I feel like I am living a nightmare. I have never cried so much or prayed so hard - and believe me, I have cried and I have prayed before. My heart is broken. Shattered. I am changed forever.

A little over ten years ago, actually ten years and two weeks ago to be exact, I put on an exquisite white gown, elbow length gloves and a glittery tiara. My father walked me down the aisle in the most beautiful church named after our Blessed Mother, and gave me away to be married to my best friend. My husband and I took vows. We promised to be true to each other no matter what. In good times and bad. We walked out of that church hand in hand to start a new life together. I thanked my Lord God for sending this wonderful man to me, for I truly believed that he was the answer to a prayer. A gift from God, my husband.

Twenty days ago my husband left.

My husband packed a suitcase and went to go live in his mother's basement. We have four children. Four. Small. Children. He broke my heart, he broke their hearts. He broke his mother's heart and his father's heart. My sisters cry with me. My neighbors cry with me. Moms in the carpool lane and at the PTA meetings, they cry with me. My friends call me and text me and come over and sweep my kitchen floor for me. My niece has been here almost everyday it seems. There are angels watching over me, crying with me.

It is like someone died, only he didn't. He walked away. (WTF?)

I... can... not... breathe.



Here's the thing. I don't have that option. I can't crawl under the covers and pretend it is not happening. I can't decide that this life of mine just isn't what I thought I had signed up for and go run off and start over. I am not a coward. I am strong and I am courageous. I am a woman and, I am a MOTHER.

The English language is so inadequate. There are no words that can fully convey what I am or how I feel (I can think of a few that describe him though - see? it's coming back). I am angry. SO ANGRY. I am sad. Lonely. Frustrated. Resentful. Fragile. I feel helpless. I feel like a failure. I feel like an idiot. I feel like I am being called on to be super-human right now. Sometimes it is all just too much. I also feel grateful. I feel loved. I have so many friends and my great big family. I have my Lord and Savior, without whom I literally would not be able to pull myself out of bed in the morning.

I am bewildered. Devastated. I just do not understand. I can't grasp what is happening to me, to my family. We had a life. A family. I do not understand how you decide to throw that away. Our marriage was never perfect.(what is perfect?) It was also never hopeless. I can not "respect your decision" - because it is not respectable. I have values, we had values - and this goes against all of them.

I am not hopeless, that is, I have hope. I have faith. Thank God Almighty, I have help. There are tremendous betrayals that have been perpetrated, and yet I have hope and faith that trust can one day be restored. I do not believe in divorce. I will sign nothing. Ten years and two weeks ago I took vows, and I took them seriously. I am not giving up. Let me put that out there for all the world to hear and see: I AM NOT GIVING UP.

So, anyway, here I am. I am back in the "blogosphere". I am battered and I am bruised. You told me to write, if you think you can handle it, I'd love to have you read it. and, please, leave a comment. Thanks.

10 comments:

Deniseski22 said...

"Hail Mary, full of Grace...the Lord is with thee"
I wish you love and support to gain back the strength needed to survive such a heartache. xxxooo

Lisa Kennedy said...

You are such a special woman and when you write it is with such clarity that it feel raw, real, intense. I like that about you, I like that a lot. You are a truth teller and that is so important in this world.

You will not only get through this, you will grow and change and show your children by example how to face adversity

My mother was divorced and everything I saw her go through taught me to be strong and to never ever give up and to proper and to know who I was!

This too, will be a gift your children learn from this....

Kelly said...

You ARE a super-hero!

Erin (Out on a Limb) said...

Wow. I'm sorry that I had no idea what you've been dealing with. You are in my thoughts, prayers, and I know, if anyone is able to come out on the other side of this, it's you. Hang in there. I'll talk to you.
Sending my love your way.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Beautiful... Never think for a moment that you are alone. Having had the same thing happen to me almost 20 years ago (Only I had one child) I can honestly say I have felt the raw emotions you are feeling and dealing with right now. Forgive yourself, be your own best friend! They are real emotions and should be respected and it seems like your family and friends have stepped up to help you. LUCKY BLESSED YOU!! I am here to a different perspective if need be. I can step up to be strong for you...you will need it....I relied on people I hardly knew and those i loved. I became an open book just like you are doing now. You are strong, you are a mother, you will need to let go slowly but with confidence that this will be okay that even though you take two steps forward you will again take a step back but will still be ahead- day by day year by year - with epiphanies helping you learn who you are, what you have become and what you have lost. Coming out stronger than before, more beautiful inside because you will not let the anger eat you from the inside out. LOVE XOXOXOXOO Cry if you must IT IS OKAY TO Cry just don't let it be or become you A beautiful person! A Mother, A sister, A friend and so much more - Elizabeth Attanasio cell 786-8375 Call or text me anytime I mean anytime cause 3am is a killer PRAYERS of Love and Healing!!

Rosanne said...

No matter what happens, you are stronger than you think and when you need stength just turn to your cherubs. Th ey will be you strength when all else fails.

Oh and you could always call me back!!

Cara said...

Welcome back. I have no comments really cause you have been bombarded with my comments both solicited and unsolicited in person. You know I am in your corner and I have a mean right hook. xo

mom2two said...

you already know how i feel. i'm glad you're back on the blog. love and peace from the caldwell family.

Jenny said...

Breathless, no doubt...Prayng for you and your family xo

Melanie@TheOldWhiteCottage said...

I hope you don't mind my comment since we really don't know each other, but to this I can relate and I've been thinking of you. Sending you a hug.

Related Posts with Thumbnails