.

.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A dream denied

Life is not fair. It's not. Life is not fair.
Tell me something I don't already know.

Today is my birthday. The anniversary of the day my mother so gracefully brought me into this world. For a long time, this day was the one I have most anticipated, celebrating as if it were a sort of unofficial holiday. Then I became a mother. Now my most favorite days are my children's birthdays. All four of them. I guess when you have a child they automatically become more important, more amazing than you are, even in your own mind. Since I have become a mom I have come to think of birthdays as being as much a celebration of the mother who did the birthing as it is of the child who was born. For the last 28 birthdays, I have had to celebrate without my mother.

When I was six years old my mother died. She was sick. A lot of my memories are of her being sickly. In and out of the hospital. Having to be careful and cautious. I remember wanting so badly for her to be able to come upstairs and tuck me in to bed, and my Dad being upset if she did. She needed to "take it easy". Then, one spring day when I was six years old my world changed forever. I was in first grade and I had been sitting with her reading Sally, Dick & Jane. Suddenly she didn't feel right, she needed to go into the bathroom. Next, she was asking me to wet a cool washcloth for her, and go wake up Daddy. Not long after, I watched her wave to me for the last time from the passenger seat of our car as it pulled out of the driveway and my Dad rushed her off to the hospital.

I am 34 years old today and the memories of my Mom leaving that day still bring me to my knees.

My sister and I went "across the street" to our neighbors and friends and played Atari. Later that night we returned home, and I went to bed. I could hear downstairs that other people were there, and the Stanley Cup hockey was on. I already felt so lonely and scared. I pooled all of the blankets around me in a circle, creating a sacred private space for myself to try to feel safe, but I fell asleep feeling very scared. In the morning it was my aunt, my mother's sister, who came upstairs to tell me that there was "no more Mommy".

No child should have to hear those words, or words like them, but they have rattled in my brain ever since. Life isn't fair.

As you might imagine, from that day on I was changed. Just as a mother is defined in the moment her child takes her first breath, I was defined when my mother breathed her last. I was formed into the mother I am today so many years ago when I became a motherless daughter.
Although it means different things for all of us, we all want better for our children than we had for ourselves. I wanted "normal". I wanted the sitcom family a la "The Cosby Show", "Growing Pains" or "Family Ties". I wanted a family. I wanted family dinners with lots of siblings around the table sharing stories about the day. I wanted drawers full of clean clothes, lunchboxes full of carrot sticks and sandwiches. Milk and cookies and Mom waiting after school to help with the homework. I wanted fresh Christmas trees, Sunday church and pot roast. I wanted a Mom and a Dad.

This year when the anniversary of my mother's death approached it was particularly poignant for me. My FirstSon was six years old. It struck me hard to realize that in his short life he had already lived more time with his Mom by his side than I ever did with mine. I also realized that while the past six years have created rich memories for me, have been in fact the greatest time of my life, FirstSon will probably not remember much of it himself. Basically, it hit me this past spring that if I were to die (and as irrational as I know it is, I am always afraid that I am going to die), this whole time would boil down to very little in the memory of my precious children. It made me sad to think of it.

Now of course, I didn't die. No one has. Not really. My marriage. My dreams, maybe. My children can't possibly comprehend what they have lost. They will live a new "normal", and it will be okay, but I will remember. I will remember the time when we were a family, when we were everything I ever wanted.

I wanted so much more for my children. I tried so hard. I thought I had it all. I did have it all. Something, no, someone changed somewhere and now it is gone. Everything that I didn't want for my children to experience is happening, and it is out of my control. IT SUCKS. It sucks to realize that you cannot control what happens to your children, that you can't always protect them from getting hurt. Right now the best I can do is hold them in my arms, kiss away their tears and love them. Life is not fair, but they have their mother.

9 comments:

Lisa Kennedy said...

First and foremost Happy Birthday!

When reading your story I was reminded of my husband's. When he just knew his mother had died and the rhythm that took in his life. He was 14 and then 2 years later his father died. He spoke of the gut feeling, the people milling around, when he was told it was true. It is heartbreaking as is your story. I am sorry your mother was taken so early from you, she would be proud of you I am sure of that.

As for memories-- your children may not have the memories you had envisioned for them but every day we are creating memories for them. We are the Steven Spielberg's of their lives. Every day we make decisions and choices about how we react to what life throws us.

It makes me want to pull my hair out that I can't make people do what I want them to do! It's maddening really, especially when it is destructive to the people I love. When I boarder on accepting that I get filled with sadness that it is what it is-- and the ONLY thing I can do is handle the curve balls with grace and in a way that I can look back on and be proud of.

You children are so Blessed! They have a mother that cares so much. They have a mother that is strong, that is funny, that it smart and witty and silly and talented. They have a mother that understands, through her own losses, what a truly vital role she has in her children's lives. They have a mom that will meet what comes with all of those qualities and more.

You can't control what life brings, you can only meet it in a way that you can look back on and be proud of--

Thank you Trish's mom for bringing someone special into our world!

Deniseski22 said...

Wow....left with tears from a beautiful story... your words express such clear vision of thoughts, dreams and truths. Then to top it off, the comment that follows gives more power and strength to believe. I am sure your mother had great Faith for your future....I do. Happy BIRTHday Super Mom!

Cara said...

...and so she went on the new turn her path took. She rambled along with 4 cherubs trailing behind. She slayed every dragon that dared cross their new path. She wiped their noses, dried their tears and held them up through it all. In the end she was mother and father to them some days...and they knew that she was always the wind beneath their wings. And they all lived happily ever after and each went on to get married and have four children each of their own. And those 16 grandchildren got birthday parties fit for a princess or paleontologist...cause their grandma was an expert...they ate post roast at their grandmas house on Sunday after church. She told them stories of Curly and First Son. And when they looked back on the road they traveled which had some pot holes and pit falls but they were always loved and that's all that ever really mattered anyway.

Unknown said...

Wow. YOu guys know just what to say. Thanks.

mom2two said...

happy birthday my dear friend.

i have no words to say as eloquent as yours...

Jenny said...

You are a woman blessed with such grace. I have always thought you were phenominal and now more than ever...With Love,J. Happy Birthdayxo

Erin (Out on a Limb) said...

Tricia,

First, Happy Belated Birthday. I have just caught myself up on the last few entries, and please know that I think about you every day. I know you're strong, but you're honest too, and I know you're hurting. Keep hanging in there and know that, for whatever it's worth, I'm saying a prayer every day... for comfort, for guidance, for strength.

Love ya,
Erin

Wisconsin Parent said...

Happy Day. I'm crying, but it's a bittersweet cry. So many of my friends have one (or both) parents who have passed away. It wasn't until my dad died in June that I understood this empty-ness. My kids won't (can't) understand what it's like to have a parent who it "gone" and I wouldn't wish it on them. It's a difficult thing to want so much for them (but also want it for yourself). Maybe this comment is totally off track, but that was a really great post, regardless.

Anonymous said...

Tricia, I think of you often and all that you are going through. love to you and your little muffins, Wyndi

Related Posts with Thumbnails