.

.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Re-evalutaing Friendships

So last night hubby and I went out to a lovely dinner with some very close friends to celebrate her birthday. Yes, we sprung for a babysitter and all! The restaurant was good, the decor was lovely, homey, and welcoming. The service was just OK,our waitress was working the whole room alone, with just one 12 year old bus-boy, and I don't think the restaurant expected or prepared for what turned out to be a Tuesday night rush, so I won't hold it against them. The food was mostly good - baked clams C-, filet mingon A+. The only real negative is that the restaurant was very LOUD. Sometimes it was hard to hear each other speak. Alas, the acoustical issues of the restaurant are not to blame for what I am about to tell you.

As a gift for the birthday girl, I had gotten a lovely necklace with a silver claddagh which lays over a beautiful, shiny white disc. After the gift was opened we were all admiring it, and a discussion began about the white disc, namely exactly what it was made of. It went like this:
Someone: "is that mother of pearl?"
Me: "I thought it was Capis Shell"
Her: "Appolonia?"
Me: giggle
Him: "What did you say?"
Me: "I said I thought it was Capis Shell"
Her: "Is that what it is? Appolonia?"
Me: giggle, and then, in my best bad Italian accent,
" Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday"
Them: Blank stares
Me: "What do you think it is?" (maybe I hadn't heard right)
Her: "Appolonia"
Me: "Monday Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday"
Them: nothing

I think I have to reevaluate this friendship. I don't know if I can be friends with people who don't regularly quote Godfather scenes and work them into everyday conversation, or at the very least, appreciate it when others do. Do they even realize that Appolonia is one of the most tragic characters in the entire trilogy? Think how different Michael's life as Don would have been if Appolonia hadn't been blown to bits, forcing him to return to the arms of the very "naive" Kay? Michael needed a good Italian wife to stay home and have the babies and stir the gravy, not some New England Wasp with the arrogance to think her own thoughts!
Well, at least we have Buffalo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know must expose this friend to an evening of Godfather Trilogy to introduce them to the cult of it all, but tell them they can take the gun but leave the cannolli's

Unknown said...

you mean, leave the gun, take the cannoli

Anonymous said...

no actually if your serving dinner with the godfather they should leave the cannoli! lol

Anonymous said...

said friend... obviously needs a Trilogy nite.
Just let me know when!
Cabernet or a nice Chianti to go with?

I always find something fun to read about here when I stop in....Keep bloggin it keeps us close in Heart ~~~smiles~~

Anonymous said...

oh querida do you not yet know that a beautiful woman will always win... there is nothing as strong and powerful as gentlesness...nothing as gentle as real strength

The arrogance of Kay to think her own thoughts would have been wonderful had she actually had a thought or a face worth contemplating...

Related Posts with Thumbnails