.

.

Friday, August 3, 2007

Not sleeping

I must confess, I am not sleeping well at night. Paddy boy has little to do with it. I have something on my mind and it is BIG. Hubby and I are thinking about keeping First Son home from Kindergarten. Homeschooling him. I think about it all the time, I read books, I search the web, and mostly I lie awake in bed at night. I feel like I don't really have anyone to talk to about this besides Hubby, and it is almost the only thing we do talk about. I wish there were someone else whom I could bounce my ideas off of, someone who could help me make this decision.

The thing is that where we live, homeschooling is, well, weird. My family thinks I am crazy, although they have been very nice and respectful, as I requested in an earlier post, but I know they think it is weird. My friends are all so excited about sending their own cherubs off, that they couldn't possibly understand why I wouldn't want to. I don't blame these people for their attitudes, because not that long ago I too would have said - "what are you crazy?" I would never have thought that I would be the type to even consider homeschooling, and yet here I am. There also isn't any one pivotal moment either, this is an idea that has developed over time, I guess the past 5 years.

I have thought about the idea that if this were the right decision, it wouldn't be so hard to make, but when I think about just sending him off to kindergarten, I don't get excited about that either.

The kindergarten bus will be outside my door in a little over a month. I am feeling the pressure to make this decision. Maybe if it weren't full-day kindergarten I would feel better, but it is full day, so there is no room for "maybe". I am leaning toward keeping him with me and teaching him myself. What is holding me back? I think it is peer pressure, society pressure. I don't usually give in to that kind of pressure. Do I? Well, I do have that Vera Bradley bag. Hmmmm.

There are just so many wonderful things about homeschooling, and I can't list even half as many on the opposite subject, public schooling. Still, I am hesitating. Why?

Here it is, an open question, I welcome your comments on the following:
please respond in the comments section, and please do not be "anonymous"

1.WHY should I send First Son to public Kindergarten?






5 comments:

mom2two said...

you could talk to our dear friend in boston.. she might have a teachers perspective..

Anonymous said...

I guess I should ask...is it just K you are considering this or the entire K-!2 experience?

Much of learning involves social-emotional aspects as well as academics. The school environment prepares students for the "working world;" one in which students learn to work collaboratively to achieve a goal, as well as working for someone....the new trend in teaching is differentiated instruction....meaning multi-level classrooms...lessons geared for 3 levels....low (teacher-assisted) middle (guided material/structures) and high (advanced/little teacher guidance-free-creation and application)
Also to mention, more and more lessons have involved the 9 multiple intelligences (different learing styles we all possess) These are incorporated into lessons as a norm
(pretty much gone are the days of shoebox dioramas simply depicting habitats)

Although this is time consuming on the teacher to plan such lessons, they are being done because of the better learner it produces...and much more material is being retained.

You, as a well-involved parent, are not only going to supplement and help apply what he's doing at home, but you have the right and an ope-line communication with the teacher....you can request guidance on how to help him at home...

K is no longer play time, nap time, and letter learning....

They have at least 1-hour of reading (push in model---teacher comes to class, class doesn't leave classroom)

There is a domino effect for the state tests in 4th and 8th grades....there is a HUGE emphasis on reading and learning and creating (writing is always a side bonus)

It has been my experience that those who grasp it, hold on tight and do not let go....

Knowing First Son, he is extremely smart, and I empathize with your dilemma.

Teachers go in early to set up their classrooms, perhaps you can go visit, or talk with the principal, as to a typical K day and what exactly the curriculum is for K.

Final thought....think about when you went to school...what do you remember most....(usually socialization) Is it a part of who you are today? Do you want to sacrifice that for First Son?

Just some food for thought....

Anonymous said...

ok, here it is...MY thoughts...and Questions!!! (these are free - be worthy!) I can certainly be sympathic to your situation. It is really is a tough decision! You certainly want to make the best choice for FS's education and well being...

Ok here goes...please don't think this is an attack...I've just got questions and random thoughts...

First of all, what is your reason behind the homeschooling? Is it because you don't like your district? Do you think the teachers won't do a good enough job? (wink - sob - yes, that's your clue - I'm a teacher!! Don't be too harsh on answering that!!) What was your preschool experience like?

Ok, next Q is about the amount of time in the day you can devote to teaching? Schools offer structure and socialization among a variety of children w/ different personalities (aka teacher speak for cooperative learning and learning social acceptance!)

Are you familiar with a Kindergarten curriculum? Do you plan to teach what the state expects so that FS will be well prepared for college? (ok, next Q - is this a K-12 venture?)

Get back to me on this... this will give me more of a perspective on your thoughts! I would really like to help! I hope I was not too hard on you! Just want to know the facts ma'am!! (mom!)

Anonymous said...

well, now being a Mom....i can understand your decision & not wanting to let him go. But i have read the other comments and they have great points. Dont make this so hard...FS (my nephew) needs this to prepare and learn from different experiences as well as an education (not saying that you would not educate him well....if you H/S can i come?)lol
H/S'ing is going to be a lot of work and time. Remember you have the other cherubs to thing about.
well, i hope you get some sleep. The other bloggers seem to have some great thoughts as well.
Jack's Mom.....
p.s.-i dont think this is "wierd or strange"...i just think that he will benefit from public school. Cant keep them home forever...can you???? hmmmm..

Anonymous said...

When a parent chooses to home teach, it is usually accompanied with a critical commentary on the state of education in their community, or because of a child's special needs, or because of the geographic circumstances of their residence. I'm not seeing any of these in your consideration.

Whether we like it or not, our children are now and will continue to be exposed to popular culture and all that it entails. I don't believe it's good for a kid to be removed from it. They will be unable to develop the social skills and judgment necessary to handle it once they inevitably become exposed to it. Rather, the exceptional parent does not completely remove their child because of their own overarching need to control. They use their unique position to teach their kids what the schools cannot -- fundamental values and a wholesome discipline that they will some day need as a foundation to make the right choices when the time comes. So if you're concerned about exposure to the "elements", just remember that you are the antidote. Roots, wings and self esteem are your reponsibility, not teaching reading, writing and arithmetic. Use your powerful sense of devotion to educating your child to that end. Leave the academic development to the experts. Have a little respect for the fact that, like it or not, the people in the schools teaching your child have gone through years of training to do so. Although you think you're qualified, you aren't just because you happen to be the parent.
Besides, it will be good for your kid to be exposed to other kids. He /She will make friends, learn how to share, understand other kids, cope with frustration (including having bad teachers)and deal with a whole host of circumstances that he/she couldn't possibly be exposed to if he /she were limited to the shelter of home, with one parent doing everything. He /she will become totally reliant on you to provide them with all of the answers about everything and not develop as real people who are able to sort things out for him/herself.
It needs to be all about your kid.

Related Posts with Thumbnails