.

.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Mama's Eggs

I work at this neat little hole in the wall luncheonette/coffee shop every Sunday. The place seats a total of 22 people, including 10 counter seats, and the grill is right out in the open. From the looks of it, you'd expect nothing more than your typical greasy spoon, slinging eggs and hash. On the contrary, the cook/owner is a certified chef and former culinary instructor, with a four star resume. He puts up breakfast specials that are absolutely gourmet. This place is a gem, and I love working there in part because the money is great for 1 day's work, but also because I am a foodie and I learn and taste something new every time I walk through the door.
For the past few weeks we've had a special on the board, "Mama's Eggs". It is two eggs poached in marinara sauce, served with half a loaf of Italian bread and a slab of butter. It is amazing! The marinara sauce is incredible, and the addition of the eggs is brilliant. One of our regular customers is the chef's brother. He came in, looked at the specials board and asked "What's Mama's Eggs?" Chef looked at him (with a knife in his hand) and said "What are you kidding me? They're eggs the way Mom used to make them!" Of course he has been in practically every day ordering them. One day he even brought in two friends and his own loaf of bread!
This has got me thinking about the sentimental connections we have to food. Food is so much more than sustenance. Food connects us to the people we love whether they are here to share in the meal with us or not. For myself and my brothers and sisters food presents a strong connection to our late father. Sauerbraten, halvah, eggplant parmesan, Sabretts, Cheez Waffies, pea soup, Necco Wafers, Cheez Whiz and Ritz Crackers, Chef Boy-ar-dee, corned beef hash, Campbell's Tomato Soup, cream cheese & jelly, and black jelly beans. I can't eat, buy or even see any of these and not be instantly transported to some memory involving my Dad, they were his favorites right along with Schmidt's Beer and the occasional Cutty Sark. These foods are worth so much more to me than what their Nutritional Information label reveals. For me, a meal or a snack made up of these foods is like stealing time, an extra moment with Dad. Honestly, popping open a jar of Cheez Whiz may not be the best thing for my waistline, but it is a whole lot easier on my wallet than ten minutes with a psychic medium!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And then there were Dates and cream cheese and maybe before your time the Limburger or (dirty socks) cheese!! Ah the memories

Kelly said...

what about nanny's latkes??

Anonymous said...

Have the same food type memories...you made me think of some of mine...two questions what did you do with your Bunco $$..but Cheez Whiz? And what happened to Jose...houses for sale in my neighborhood popping up everyday! :)

Anonymous said...

Kelly - Nanny's dead

Deniseski22 said...

Tears of joy that are prompted by the same memories as a child. Cream cheese & jelly...traded it at school everytime. If I didn't like it, (which was only to change the CC to Peanut Butter) I had to make my own lunch! I wasn't at any restaurant, this was home! Maybe this is why we both enjoy the special orders like Mama's eggs & Sauerbraten that this, should be, greasy spoon offers us!
Bon Appetit along with that Schlitz or PBR that your craving (Guinness!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails