.

.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Smoking at the Bus Stop- Seriously??

Seven days of school, and already I have a queasy feeling in my gut. The cause of my ojeda?Smoking at the bus stop. Seriously? With your 6 year old standing right there? I am incensed! First of all, I take issue with smoking period. I don't understand how anyone under the age of 70 could be that stupid. (That's right, you are stupid!) There is no excuse for it. I will give a little leniency to recovering drug addicts and alcoholics who need to have a lesser evil, but even they should not be smoking on the bus stop for crying out loud.
So, there is this guy, dare I call him a "dad"? who each morning is standing at the bus stop (did I mention it's a bus stop for kindergartners and first graders?) puffing away on his cancer stick. What to do??? Well, I don't want to get into an argument with the guy in front of the kids, so I kind of just stand back for a few days, figuring that once First Son is safely on the bus I can have a peaceful, grown-up chat with Joe Camel. Not so much, as an added show of concern for the well being of his offspring, Mr. Camel leaves the bus stop as soon as he sees the bus approaching. Argh. I mentioned it to the school principal last night at the PTA meeting, hoping she would be able to do something, but of course she cannot offer me anything more than a simple "thank you for being concerned." (Thank me? for being concerned? about my child?- there's a whole 'nother post.)
The other concern is, I don't want to piss this guy off, since he knows where I live - the bus stop is right in front of mi casa, and make him gather up his gang banger friends to come throw machetes in my backyard-again. I figure, I am going to have to see this guy at the bus stop every day for the rest of the year, so, I don't want to make an enemy. At the same time, I need to say something, because not only is his smoking posing a health hazard for me and my children, but it is undermining the values I am trying to teach them as well. My friend SBW, she is a vigilante. She tells anyone and everyone exactly what they are doing wrong in her eyes. On one hand, I admire her for being gutsy, on the other hand I don't want to be like her, because she isn't always the most tactful, and I think she pisses more people off than she rehabilitates.
I decide that I will take the "get more bees with honey" approach. I will say it with a smile. Today, I go to the bus stop a few minutes early, and there he is only...no cigarette! Is this a victory, or was he just between smokes? Methinks the latter. I walk right up with my bedhead and smeared mascara (it is 7:30 AM, and let's face it I live in a 9AM world) , smile and say, "good morning, I am sorry I didn't get you name, I met your wife last week." He says "Jose" I said " Hi Jose, I am Patricia, nice to meet you." " He smiles, then turns back to searching for the elusive yellow wagon. Jose Jr. pipes up "My Mom is not his wife". Shocking!
So tomorrow, my new friend Jose and I can have a friendly chat - I mean, we are on a first name basis now and all. I will smile politely and say " I don't mean to put you on the defensive, and you probably don't even realize it's a problem, but do you think you might be able to wait a few minutes until the bus pulls away before you light up?" Thanks Jose.
If that doesn't work, look for the FOR SALE sign on my lawn. We just don't fit in in this neighborhood.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have a 4 bedroom center hall colonial south of Montauk for sale? Or better yet a home in Montauk.

mom2two said...

you could say that you and first son are allergic to cancer stick smoke, and ask him to wait to light up. less likely to put him on the defensive, and put the reason on yourself...

Anonymous said...

The allergy statement works almost always........I used it alot in Hawthorne, so much so that people would lite up near me and someone would shout "You idiot - she's allergic go do that somewhere else".

The allergy card works alot better.....plus the the whole gang banner thing, you do have to be "nice".

Anonymous said...

SMOKERS SUCK! Why don't people know better? I know of a house south of Montauk....1.1 million..is that in your price range?

Unknown said...

Since I posted this, Jose Camel has not smoked once! Maybe he's a fan of my blog?

Related Posts with Thumbnails