.

.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

It ain't easy...

As parents, we all believe that our children are absolute angels, as was Satan himself. My children are no different. They are wonderful people, fun to be around, amazingly smart, funny and sweet. Also, every one of them, (save for little Dexter whose only saving grace is his 8wk age) are fresh, obnoxious, annoying little monsters. Depends on the day, depends on the company. Lately First Son has really been feeling his oats (what does that mean?). He has been so incredibly obnoxious and just so fresh, that each day I manage to not throttle him I believe I deserve a ticker tape parade in my honor. He is really, really difficult.
This has been so hard, I think in part because he is just such a good kid. First Son is known to be a bona fide good kid. To see and hear him acting the way he has been is keeping me up at night. I don't know what to do. Sure, there is a lot going on. A new baby, for one. Okay, a new baby who got extra attention by checking himself into the hospital twice before he was six weeks old, but still, we've had new babies before, twice. Also, he is reading now and I know that that can be a big scary change. He's home from school for the summer which means his schedule is all off, and he also has a bit of a hypoglycemia issue. I am trying to be understanding. I am trying to heap tons of positive attention on him, which does work for a while. Still, he hits his sister, talks back to his mother and disobeys his grandmother. (yes, his grandmother, a.k.a. the nicest sweetest woman on the planet)
I don't actually think that what I am going through is that remarkable. I talk to lots of other Moms and they have very similar tales. Still, it pains me. I love him so darned much that it kills me to have to admit that sometimes I just don't like him very much. Please, somebody tell me that it is going to get better.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

It sounds like FS is going through some real "growing pains" (not saying your the Seavers here)! I also agree that the routine thing could be it too. School is VERY routine... I hear you on the love/"I don't like you very much" feelings...Bren can often drive me nuts too! Maybe he needs to channel that energy in something productive? Or you can try to "spice up" some regular activities? I visit this blog (not a plug mind you) that has these awesome ideas - maybe you could find something there...I know you have chores but these are cute...
http://www.makeandtakes.com/job-jars

GOOD LUCK!!

Cara said...

Of course it will. Then it will get worse again when he is goes to elemetary school, then better..then worse when middle school starts..then better,then when he starts to like girls, goes to high school etc...There are days when we all dont like our kids. I find that with multiple children to love there is always one that's on your mind...the one that makes you lay awake with your stomach twisting..once you feel that one is ok theres something else. I have come to learn that it never goes away..now it's fresh behavior, then its what they are doing on the internet,then it's them driving away in a car, and then one day you get children-in- law to worry about and grandchildren. Trouble is we love them all so much, each one with a fierceness that comes from somewhere unexplainable. And all their life's bumps truly bruise us more than them. So head up pal, you're doing a great job and this too shall pass...but then there's Curly..lol. xox

mom2two said...

i have literally said to bc3, "it takes all my energy not to beat these kids sometimes!!"

joking yes! (but not really)

Related Posts with Thumbnails