.

.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Deplorable

I don't like to get political but, I am a mother, and as such I have some responsibility for the world in which I am raising my children. I happened upon this on my friend Salome's blog this morning, and I was so disgusted that I felt I had to share. Please take some time and listen to this rant from Oklahoma State Legislator Sally Kern:
http://www.victoryfund.org/files/listening.html

I am a Married Catholic and Patriotic American mother of three, with one on the way, and I was brought to the verge of tears listening to this. It frightens me not only that there are people who live here among us, calling themselves Christian Americans, but it frightens me most that these people have a platform on which to stand and voice these deplorable thoughts. This woman truly believes herself to be a patriot! She is in a position to influence people. That is scary.

Here is the thing to keep in mind, we are all in a position to influence others. Especially those of us who are parents and teachers. Our world is flawed. We are not a perfect society. We must empower our children to think their own thoughts, to draw their own conclusions, to love one another and to judge not. And, we must teach them the importance of their own voice, especially when it comes to electing those individuals who are meant to represent us.

God Bless America - we certainly need it.

1 comment:

Delilah said...

Thank you for posting this. Regardless of political and religious views, all Americans should be disgusted by this sort of attack on and fear of a segment of the population that is simply different. We owe our children so much more than this kind of small-minded, prejudiced opinion about what constitutes a threat to the future safety of our country.

Related Posts with Thumbnails