.

.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Waiting for baby "D"

This past weekend we had the baby shower for the Sunshine Girl. It was fun, the fun part for me being putting together centerpieces and favors and obsessing over details. As you may know, I live for planning a good party. For the Sunshine Girl, the fun part I am sure was visiting with her family who arrived from the Sunshine State just for the occasion, that and getting a trillion adorable baby gifts! Curly Girl had a blast, being the special helper at the shower. That girl never stopped! Her Oohs and Ahhs were right on target and never lacked enthusiasm. She helped with every single gift, and had a moment of pure ecstasy at the sight of the cake! The little girl who thought a baby shower was the funniest thing she had ever heard of, because really, babies don't take showers, they take baths; had finally come to accept and enjoy the concept of the all- girl present extravaganza! For Aunt Mean, who was the hostess, and this is the funniest part, also the grandma, he he he, I think the most fun part was when it was all over and deemed a success - boy can she stress! She was also pretty happy when the adorable car seat blanket she made was a perfect match for the car seat! It really is pretty, and now that I know about the "skills" I expect one of my own, hint, hint.

There has been quite a baby boom in the family lately. I am talking serious census skewing data. In a span of less than two years there will be no less than six new leaves on the old arbor, and depending on how deep the roots go, probably more than that. My family alone is responsible for two of them. Babies, babies, everywhere. Still, there is something different about this particular birth. With this new baby we're starting a whole new generation! I will be his great aunt, after all! (It's true, I have always been a great aunt, thanks for mentioning it) There is something so exciting about the arrival of this child that I am almost more excited to meet him than I am my own child (relax, I said almost). This is the first time in over 21 years that there is a baby being born who is my direct blood relation (excluding cousins), and I don't need to do any of the birthing! If my parents were alive today, or more accurately, this summer, they would be proud to have 9 grandchildren ranging in age from 29 to zero and 1 great-grandchild. Wow.

He'll be here in just a few short weeks. We know he's a boy - obviously, but that is all we know. We don't know his name, or when exactly he'll arrive. We're all just waiting for the phone to ring. I do know however that he will be greeted with a great big shout of joy from so many in this great big family. I for one, can't wait to meet you, baby "D".

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails