.

.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Goodnight Sweet Angel


Every night before I head off to bed to go to sleep, when each of the cherubs is fast asleep and tucked away in their own beds, I sneak into their rooms and ply their faces with kisses. I have a special name for each of them, and I gently whisper my goodnight wishes. Sometimes I take a few minutes to just stare with wonder and thank God for blessing me so richly. It is one of my favorite rituals of the day.

Last night, or more accurately, very early this morning I became aware of the sensation of something very warm and soft on my face. Then, I felt the softest little kiss. (Hubby was snoring away on the other side of the bed) I opened my eyes and saw First Son standing next to me. I said "hi", and he came in for a big hug. I asked him what was wrong, fearing a nightmare or wet sheets, and he just said "I love you Mommy. Is tomorrow Friday?". Then he went back to bed. Wow. So sweet.

I figured that he had gotten up to use the bathroom and stopped by for an extra goodnight. This morning as he was getting ready for school I asked him if he remembered coming into my room last night. He said "yeah". I asked if he had gotten up to use the bathroom, and he said " No, I just wanted to say I love you."

There are some moments in my life as a mother that I would do anything to forget. Things that are messy or embarrassing or situations that I feel I have handled badly. This moment however, is one that I hope haunts me through many years of old age.

My precious First Son, My Sweet Angel, I love you too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails