.

.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

It's working

I don't know what it is, but it is working. My children love each other. Sure they squabble, as all siblings do, but when it comes down to it, they love each other. It is my greatest pride.

Yesterday we took a trip to the evil baby mega-store to purchase a new car seat for Paddy-boy, who will soon be gifting his current seat to his lil' bro. On the way out of the store they have some of those coin operated ride on toys. We always stop on the way out to drive Kermit's convertible, or give Mickey a lift to the Fire Dept. Of course, we power the toys with "imagination", rather than coins, but more on my frugal parenting in another post. Anyway, after a few minutes it was time to go, only Paddy boy doesn't roll with any one's rules but his own, and so refused to leave. After several minutes of pleading, I decided to act as though I were just leaving, and walked out of the double doors waving "bye" - figuring that Paddy would realize quickly that he didn't want to be left alone and follow us out. (note to CPS - I had my eye on him through the glass the whole time) Curly girl was a little reluctant to follow, which I read as her being upset with the idea that her little brother was still playing while she had to follow Mommy. After a few times of me telling her to "let's go!" - and leave her baby brother in the store, I was starting to get a little annoyed. The longer she lingered in the doorway, the less effective my abandonment parenting tactic. I took a few more steps with my shopping cart and told her to "come on" - at which point she turned on her true "Curly self", hands on hips, scrunched up nose and declared "NO! I am not leaving my brudder!"
Suddenly my annoyance melted away and was replaced with pride, with love and with peace. No matter what, my kids have each other, love each other and always will. I truly believe that the greatest gift that I can give to my children is the gift of each other. I know that my four siblings are all a gift to me, each in their own way, and to God and my parents I am grateful for them. I praise God that I am able to give my children a similar legacy, and I consider it one of my great responsibilities to teach my children always to love and respect one another. So far, it's working.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo
Love one of your siblings

mom2two said...

i try the,"see ya later, kid" trick all the time.. and inevitably what i get in return is, "bu bye mommy!" they don't care one bit that i'm leaving!

it's very sweet that curly didn't want to leave paddy! i feel the same about L & P. as much as they fight over toys, they do equal time of hugging and sharing their last bit of cookie with each other.

Related Posts with Thumbnails