.

.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

"Curly"

My daughter, whom I lovingly refer to as "Curly" is well, let's just say aptly named. The child has remarkably curly hair. It is beautiful. I don't know where she got it from, I mean my hair is curly and hubby's hair is curly, but we've got nothing on Curly herself. Wherever I go with her people have to stop us to comment on her hair. It's gotten so that we both just mumble a polite "thank you" as if someone had said "Gesundheit" to our sneeze. She has a head full of the tightest, golden blond curls you've ever seen. When her hair is dry it doesn't even touch her shoulders, when it is soaking wet it sports a tight wave and falls below her shoulder blades. I have never cut it. The child is truly blessed with an amazing mane.
So, what pisses me off? I'll tell you. There are so many people who comment about how beautiful her hair is, and then, without taking a breath go on to say "she's gonna hate it when she gets older." That is just so rude! Who the hell are you? Are you wishing for my sweet 3yr old to be an unhappy adolescent? You don't know her, you don't know us, do not presume that you know the slightest thing about how she is going to feel about herself when she is older. Just because you were an ugly, pimple faced teenager with frizzy hair and crooked teeth does not give you the right to project your own low self-esteem onto my beautiful child. If I have anything to do with it, my child will not judge her self-worth based on her beautiful hair or lack thereof, what will be important is character, integrity, and kindness.
So, if you like her hair, thank you. If you have any further comments, shut the hell up, because nobody asked you.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails